Confetti, floats and colors: the 2016 edition of the Carnival of Acireale
- Published: 4-01-2016
- Category: Events
There aren’t only the sea, the small islands and the beaches: Sicily is a place to visit even in winter. A region that, during winter months, is enlivened by several events. And one of the most important (and fun) is the Carnival of Acireale, which in 2016 will take on January 30-31 and on February 4-5-6-7-9.
- January 30, Saturday: opening of the Carnival in the heart of Acireale (4pm); Grand Parade (5pm); inauguration of the papier-mâché art installation in Piazza Duomo (6pm); Carnival Queen arrives in Piazza Duomo on the float that won the 2015 edition (7pm); music in Piazza Duomo (8:30pm).
- January 31, Sunday: parade of floats along the carnival circuit (9am); Carnival of Acireale trophy (9:30am); float parade (4pm); music in Piazza Duomo (9:30pm).
- February 4, Thursday: parade of scholastic groups along the traditional circuit of the Carnival (4pm); street art show with jugglers, magicians, stilt walkers, acrobats (6pm); “Dancing at Carnival” in Piazza Duomo (8:30pm).
- February 5, Friday: music and dancing in Piazza Duomo (10am); “Bambini in maschera” at Turi Ferro theater (4pm); “Rumori barocchi”, festival of emerging bands (8pm).
- February 6, Saturday: parade of scholastic groups along the traditional circuit of the Carnival (10am); parade of floats along the Carnival circuit (4pm); “Balla coi carri”, with floats that turn into open-air discotheques (10pm).
- February 7, Sunday: positioning of floats along the carnival circuit (11:30am); parade of floats along the carnival circuit (3pm); musical show in Piazza Duomo (10pm); “Senti chi suona – DJ alla ribalta”, DJ-set in Piazza Indirizzo (10pm).
- February 9, Tuesday: parade of floats along the carnival circuit (12pm); final parade of floats (3:30pm); music show in Piazza Duomo (9pm); awards (11pm).
Not only Carnival
The masks, the colors and the desire to have fun are the main reasons that have brought you here. While you’re in this part of Sicily, visit Acireale. And remember that there are other small towns to see such as Caltagirone, Aci Castello and Taormina.
How to get there
Acireale is a small town in the province of Catania. To get there from Catania, just take the A18 motorway towards Messina and follow the road signs to Acireale. The journey by car takes about half an hour.
For more information about 2016 edition of Carnival of Acireale, you can visit the official fanpage of the event.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/alessandrogrussuRelated articles