Catania what to see: these are the 10 most beautiful places of the city
- Published: 1-07-2016
- Category: Places to See
The city of Catania has many souls. As you can imagine, the places to see are several. And, since you want to know what to see, the most beautiful places are these.
- Piazza Duomo. The first place is one of the most famous. To see in this square there are, especially, the Cathedral of Sant’Agata and u Liotru (the Elephant Fountain, which is considered the symbol of Catania).
- La Playa. In Catania, beach means La Playa. It is easy to reach, sandy and very large. Several services are available. It is ideal for a day dedicated exclusively to sun, sea and relaxation.
- Giardino Bellini. The oldest urban park of Catania. If you want to immerse yourself in the nature and walk, it’s the place for you: its paths are adorned with statues, fountains, ponds, aviaries and kiosks.
- Ursino castle. One of the must-see places in Catania, Castello Ursino is an imposing and austere castle, built in the 13th century as a royal castle of the Kingdom of Sicily. It’s in good condition and, today, it is open to the public as a museum.
- Lungomare of Ognina. Ognina is an ancient fishing village. The promenade (“lungomare” in Italian) is one of the most romantic places in the town of Catania. A promenade overlooking a black volcanic rocks coastline. The village is divided into two part, one ancient and one modern.
- The Roman theatre. Built on the slope of the hill of the ancient Acropolis and built with volcanic stones, it has a semi-circular shape and had a seating capacity for 7 thousand people. It’s in the old town centre.
- Badia di Sant’Agata. Wonderful Baroque abbey, it is situated near the cathedral.
- The Roman amphitheatre. Near the ancient city, it was built using volcanic stones.
- Teatro massimo Vincenzo Bellini. The main theatre of Catania, built in the centre of the city.
- Etna. You can’t visit Catania without seeing the Europe highest active volcano. The summit craters, the Montagnola, the monti Silvestri, the caverns and the Valle del Bove draw a breathtaking panorama.
These are the ten most beautiful places to see in Catania. But they are not the only. To discover every part of this city, you only have to book a ferry ticket to Sicily.
Image source: Di Leandro Neumann Ciuffo – Piazza Duomo – Catania, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28378940Related articles