Boat trip: these are the 8 most beautiful caves of Marettimo
- Published: 11 aprile 2016
- Category: Things to Do
The beaches are one of the ways to discover the sea of Marettimo. An island with a wild and rugged coastline that offers numerous natural jewels. Such as these eight caves, among the most beautiful of Marettimo.
- Grotta del Cammello. It is the most famous of the island’s caves. A kind of natural skylight illuminates a blue and turquoise sea.
- Grotta della Pipa. Shards, remnants of oil lamps and dishes were found in this cave, proof that, thanks to its pool full of fresh water, Grotta della Pipa has been inhabited since ancient times.
- Grotta del Presepe. The origin of the name is a peculiar fact: some stalactites and stalagmites in this cave, according to popular traditions, resemble the Nativity figure.
- Ruttiddi. This name means “small caves”. Some of the most beautiful spots are the forty meters long tunnel and the so-called Grotta degli Innamorati (“Cave of Lovers”).
- Grotta del Toro. Even in this case, the origin of the name (“Cave of the Bull”) is the particular shape of the place: at the entrance of the cave, there is a large rock that resembles a bull’s head.
- Grotta del Tuono. Maybe, among the caves of Marettimo, here you will find the most beautiful sea.
- Grotta della Bombarda. A small-size cave, the origin of the name is the “breath” created inside the cave during storms.
- Grotta Perciata. “Perciata” means “perforated”: the cave, in fact, seems a kind of huge hole in the coast overlooking the sea.
To visit the caves of Marettimo, you have two possibilities:
- A boat trip from Marettimo
- A boat trip from Levanzo
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/mcanevet