Christmas atmosphere in Sicily: the 12 most important markets
- Published: 6-11-2017
- Category: Things to Do
By now, they have become an authentic tradition. Where you can immerse yourself in the atmospheres, scents and colors of this particular period of the year. We are talking about Christmas markets in Sicily. And these are the 12 most important appointments
- Agrigento. Let’s start with the Christmas market which absolutely lasts longer. The Valley of the Temples (one of the most important Sicilian archaeological sites) becomes a true Christmas village where you can find typical sweets and typical products (agrigento.it).
- Belpasso. Located on the slopes of Mount Etna, in the metropolitan city of Catania, a Christmas village is also set up here (belpasso.ct.it).
- Caltagirone. One of the events not to be missed is to truly experience Christmas in Sicily. In fact, in Caltagirone, you can admire, throughout the Christmas season, the wonderful cribs, kept in the Museum of Traditional Nativity (caltagirone.ct.it).
- Caltanissetta. In the capital, which is located in the heart of Sicily, every Sunday there are colorful stalls where you can find all the typical Christmas products, handicrafts and many souvenir ideas (caltanissetta.it).
- Capo d’Orlando. In this comune of the metropolitan city of Messina, for a whole month the streets of the pedestrian area are enriched by festivities, appointments and the inevitable stalls (capodorlando.me.it).
- Catania. Among the Christmas markets in Sicily, Catania is one of those not to be missed: a great Christmas market that becomes a true concentrate of flavors, colors, perfumes and traditions (catania.it).
- Erice. A wonderful Christmas market set in one of the most beautiful places in Sicily: the stalls will be put into the streets and squares of an ancient medieval village that has preserved its ancient atmosphere (erice.tp.it).
- Gangi. This ancient village overlooking the Madonie Park offers, during Christmas time, the chance to discover and taste the culinary specialties of the place (gangi.pa.it).
- Milazzo. For about a month, from early December to early January, there are numerous wooden houses that welcome exhibitors and producers from all over the metropolitan city of Messina (milazzo.me.it).
- Nicolosi. In addition to walking among the typically Christmas stalls, with a bit of luck in December you could also ski on Etna (nicolosi.ct.it).
- Ragusa. From mid to late December, the Christmas market in Ragusa is very special because it is always in balance between tradition and modernity, attentive to novelties as to the inevitable elements (ragusa.gov.it).
- Rometta Marea. Among the largest markets in the entire metropolitan city of Messina, the Christmas markets of Rometta Marea will give visitors the chance to walk among wooden houses (rometta.me.it).
Usually, these 21 Christmas Markets take place every year. For more information, it is always advised to consult the official sites of the respective communes (which we reported at each event).
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/meranoRelated articles