Film locations in Sicily: a 7 legs (plus one) thematic itinerary
- Published: 10-06-2015
- Category: Places to See
Magical, charming, modern and ancient at the same time. In one word, beautiful: this is Sicily. It takes a second to fall in love. All tourists know this. And this is the same for some great film directors. Sicily is a perfect movie set. To discover this part of the island, there is a 7 legs (plus one) itinerary along film locations in Sicily.
- Ciminna (Pa). Just the name of the film to evoke one of the greatest masterpieces of all time: a few scenes of Il Gattopardo by Luchino Visconti were filmed in this town in the province of Palermo.
- Cinisi (Pa). An extraordinary Luigi Lo Cascio interprets one of the most emblematic page of the fight against the Mafia: I cento passi by Marco Tullio Giordana was filmed here.
- Linosa (Ag). The story of a woman escaping from the war and rescued by two fishermen: Terraferma by Emanuele Crialese was filmed in Linosa, one of the Pelagie Islands.
- Marzamemi (Sr). Francesca Neri, Silvio Orlando and Antonio Catania enact a desecrating film of social and political criticism: Marzamemi is the location of Sud, directed by Gabriele Salvatores.
- Palazzo Adriano (Pa). Another masterpiece of Italian cinema, filmed by one of the great masters of the camera: some scenes of Nuovo Cinema Paradiso by Giuseppe Tornatore were filmed in this palace of Palermo.
- Palermo. Wim Wenders, like other directors, fell in love with Palermo: Sicilia capital city was the location of Palermo shooting.
- Stromboli – Eolie (Me). Film and location are inextricably linked: of course we are talking about Stromboli Terra di Dio by Roberto Rossellini.
There is another leg in this itinerary to discover the film locations in Sicily: it’s the location of Montalbano, in the province of Ragusa. Even of it’s not a film but a TV series, Ragusa is a place to see.
Image source: «Il gattopardo» de wikipedia – wikipedia. Disponible bajo la licencia Dominio público vía Wikimedia CommonsRelated articles