Italy: there are 5 typical recipes prepared during Sicilian Carnival
- Published: 22-01-2016
- Category: Typicalness and Curiosities
There are several ways to live the Sicilian Carnival. Because several are the villages and the cities where this tradition is still alive. And several are the Sicilian recipes that are prepared only on the occasion of Carnival. Such as these 5 recipes, among the most typical.
- Maccheroni al ragù. Macaroni are so famous that they don’t need an introduction. One of the most typical Italian dishes, macaroni with meat sauce are prepared during Carnival period.
- Minestrone del giovedì grasso (literally, “minestrone soup of Shrove Tuesday”). To be precise, it is a typical recipe of Modica, in the province of Ragusa. It is prepared with vegetables, potatoes, dried beans, onion, parsley, pork lard.
- Maccheroni con la salsiccia. The maccarruna ca sasizza (“macaroni with sausage”, in Sicilian language) are a very special recipes, served with a delicious sauce prepared (also) with small pieces of sausage.
- Teste di turco. Typical of Scicli (in the province of Ragusa), they are big puffs stuffed with custard or ricotta. The name comes from their shape, which resembles a turban (“teste di turco” means “heads of Moor”).
- Pignoccata. It’s a pine cone-shaped cake prepared with flour, sugar, egg yolks and a pinch of salt.
Finally, among the Sicilian Carnival recipes there are also chiacchiere (angel wings) and zeppole (fried cream puffs).
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/frefreRelated articles