The recipe of pignolata (or pignoccata): all the taste of the Carnival in Palermo
- Published: 27-02-2017
- Category: Typicalness and Curiosities
Carnival in Sicily is not only a moment to enjoy but also to taste. Because there are traditional sweets that are prepared strictly in this time of the year. And one of the most famous (and delicious, of course) is the pignolata or pignoccata.
- Flour: 200 grams.
- Eggs: 2.
- Sugar: 80 grams.
- Honey: 40 grams.
- Small and coloured pieces of sugar.
- Peanut oil (for frying).
How to make:
- Mix flour, eggs and sugar.
- Knead until you get smooth and homogeneous dough.
- Divide the dough into four pieces.
- Make four long and tiny dough rolls.
- Cut these dough rolls into small pieces.
- Fry these small dough pieces in hot oil.
- When the colour of the pieces of dough becomes golden brown, remove them from the oil and place on a paper towel.
- Heat up the honey in a small pot.
- Add pignolata to honey and stir.
Once fried dough pieces and honey are well blended, put pignolata in a bowl, sprinkle with zuccherini and serve: taste a real piece of Palermo Carnival.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/kokopelli71Related articles