Holiday in Sicily: 3 ideas to spend a short trip
- Published: 9-11-2015
- Category: Places to See
Sicily has a lot things to see and to do. An entire year won’t be sufficient to see all the beauties that this land has to offer, in a mix of culture, history and nature. But if you’re planning to do a short trip in Sicily, here there are 3 ideas about how to spend it. Each of them consists in 5 days.
It starts from the administrative center of Sicily. The five days itinerary could be this:
- First day: you’ll spend it in Palermo, admiring the main attractions, like Ballarò, Quattro Canti, Pretoria fountain, the Cathedral, and the Cappella Palatina.
- Second day: Madonie Park, which is not so far from Palermo, a naturalistic paradise of 40 thousands hectares.
- Third day: Segesta, a hour far from Palermo, is an ancient city on the peak of Barbaro Mount and it’s one of the most beautiful places in Sicily.
- Fourth day: reaching Cefalù from Palermo is very easy and you’ll admire one the most beautiful villages in Italy.
- Fifth day: it finishes with the Cappella Palatina, a “jewel” set in the inestimable Palazzo dei Normanni.
This city is a great starting point to admire the numerous beauties offered by the oriental coast of Sicily:
- First day: comfortable shoes and ready to walk because you’ll going to see the most characteristic places of Catania, like the Duomo, Ursino castle, the historic center, , Etnea street.
- Second day: if the weather will be ok (which is very probable considering the fact you’re in Sicily), you can do an excursion to Etna.
- Third day: maybe you may not have a bath, but the panorama offered by Aci Trezza, Aci Castello and the Faraglioni dei Ciclopi are unique.
- Fourth day: Caltagirone, the city of maioliche, it’s near and it’s waiting just for you.
- Fifth day: you’ll spend it walking through Catania because you’ll have to taste the real Sicilian “granita” (hoping not to offend anyone).
Messina and surroundings
Finally, the City of the Strait could be the third idea about how to spend a short trip in Sicily:
- First day: also in this case, the trip starts admiring the main attractions of the city, like Piazza della Repubblica, San Martino street, Cairoli square, Duomo square, Fontana di Orione, Catalani church.
- Second day: proceeding to south you’ll reach Taormina, another one between the most beautiful places in Sicily.
- Third day: Milazzo, on the Tyrrhenian coast , is a destination divided between historic-cultural and natural attractions.
- Fourth day: the itinerary of the castles (Castel Gonzaga, Cittadella, Rocca Guelfonia, Forte San Salvatore, Lanterna di San Ranieri) is one of the most fascinating to discover Messina.
- Fifth day: you can’t leave Messina without having seen the Fata Morgana.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/scotbotRelated articles