Vacation to Sicily: the opening times of Greek theatre of Taormina
- Published: 9-03-2016
- Category: News & Info
A good reason to visit it? It’s enough to say just one thing: it is located in one of the most beautiful places in Sicily. Since you want to also see the Greek theatre of Taormina during your next vacation, you need to know which are the opening times.
The ancient theatre
It is also known by this name. Of Hellenistic origin, its history begins in the third century BC but, today, its architectural style is typically Roman: during the Roman imperial period, the theatre was renovated several times. Abandoned during the Middle Ages, between the Seventeenth and Nineteenth century it was a stop of the Grand Tour. Since the 50’s, it has been used as an outdoor theatre.
During the second century AD, the Greek theatre of Taormina had a seating capacity of 10.000. Today, it has a seating capacity of 4.500.
The opening times
- January, 9am-4pm
- From February 1 to 15, 9am-4pm
- From February 16 to 28, 9am-4:30pm
- From March 1 to 15, 9am-5pm
- From March 16 to 31, 9am-5:30pm
- April, 9am-6:30pm
- From May to August, 9am-7pm
- From September 1 to 15, 9am-6:30pm
- From September 16 to 30, 9am-6pm
- From October 1 to 15, 9am-5:30pm
- From October 16 to 31, 9am-5pm
- From November to December, 9am-4pm
- full price ticket: 10 euros
- reduced price ticket: 5 euros
Not only the Greek theatre
The Greek theatre is the symbol of the whole town. Among the things to see in Taormina in a day, there’s much more. As the Isola Bella beach. Or as the famous Duomo.
How to get there
Near Taormina, the two main tourist ports are Catania and Messina:
- To get there from Messina, take A18 motorway towards south and follow the road signs to Taormina. The journey by car takes 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- To get there from Catania, take A18 motorway towards north and follow the road signs to Taormina. The journey by car takes about 50 minutes.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/javenjutoRelated articles