The wine routes: a thematic itinerary to discover Sicily
- Published: 16 luglio 2015
- Category: Things to Do
Sicily isn’t just good to see, but also to taste. Its wine traditions haven’t rivals. Especially in the places were these wines are produced by decades, if not by centuries. And there’s a touristic itinerary that will let you discover this tradition: it’s the thematic itinerary of the routes of wine.
- Monreale route. This itinerary starts near Palermo. Between the hills of the Monreale route are produced the Contea di Sclafani, the Contessa Entellina and obviously the Monreale, from the name of the famous Norman city with its famous duomo.
- Alcamo wine route. From Erice to Marsala, from the Riserva delle Saline to Mazara del Vallo, this route has the best that Trapani can offer to the wine lovers. The doc wines which are produced here are so many that it’s impossible to list them all.
- Terre Sicane wine route. Now we’re in Agrigento. Where the wine seems better with the Temple Valley behind, as the Santa Margherita di Belìce, Sambuca di Sicilia, Menfi and Contessa Entellina demonstrate. Real masterpieces.
- Nisseni’s Castles wine route. We are in the hearth of Sicily. Here the wines have famous and evocative names: Nero d’Avola, Nero nisseno, Cerasuolo di Vittoria, Moscato di Siracusa. A place where there are the archeological sites of Morgantina, Piazza Armerina and Sperlinga.
- Etna. The wine route now it’s on the slopes of the volcano. A volcanic and fertile earth. Where there are unique wine varieties like the white Carricante, the most representative of the zone.
- Province of Messina wine route. From the slope of the volcano, now we’re on Eolie Islands. Seven sisters to discover, tasting the unique Malvasia.
Six routes that will let you do a wonderful trip between tastes, traditions and places.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/davidedamico